Philanthropy - SO Important

Philanthropy - SO Important

Monday, March 17, 2014

"No Need for Sight When You Have a Vision"



              “No need for sight when you have a vision.”

This motto is from an American track and field Paralympic athlete named Lex Gillette. As a child, he experienced retina detachment in both eyes and was ultimately left without sight. Yet even though Lex was unable to see, he didn’t let this stop him from achieving his dream.  He won a silver medal from the 2012 Paralympic Games, a world championship and gold medal in the long jump for the USA in 2013. These incredible achievements were all accomplished not with his sight, but by having a vision.
           
            As a member of the Delta Gamma Fraternity, Lex Gillette’s story really impacted me. Delta Gamma’s philanthropic purpose is Service for Sight and helping the visually impaired. As a member, I volunteer at the Braille Institute and participate in events pertaining to helping the visually impaired.  I am continually surprised when attending these events how much people with vision disorders can impact me. Hearing their life stories and how they have overcome difficulties is so inspirational to me.

            Because of Lex Gillette and Delta Gamma’s philanthropic purpose, I found myself as an intern for the Vision of Children.  A couple years ago, a vision disorder was something I never even thought about.  I was very naive about visual impairment because it wasn’t ever a part of my life.  Yet now, two years later, I am having a blast as I learn new things and am giving part of myself to help the blind and visually impaired. Whenever I come across stories like Lex Gillette’s, it simply amazes me and brings me such happiness knowing that I can be involved with a foundation that focuses on helping the visually impaired.

Lex Gillettes site: http://www.lexgillette.com/





-          Kayla, a VOC Intern and student at San Diego State University  

No comments:

Post a Comment